Sunday, April 26, 2026

When You've Been There for Others

 

When You’ve Always Been There for Others and Suddenly Find Yourself Standing Alone  Nonna Clarissa



Left to right:  Marlena, me, Julia and Anna




At 67, I’ve lived long enough to know what it means to show up for people. Through the highs and lows of life, I was the one friends and family could count on. If someone needed a ride, a meal, a place to stay, a listening ear, or simply a steady presence, I was there without hesitation. It wasn’t something I questioned; it was simply who I was.

But now, as I face a chapter of life where I need support, I’m discovering a truth that is as painful as it is surprising: many of the people I stood by have quietly disappeared. Some are “too busy.” Others have drifted away without explanation. A few offer polite words but no real presence. And the silence, at times, is louder than any argument could be.

It’s a strange kind of heartbreak, not dramatic, not sudden, but a slow realization that the loyalty you gave so freely isn’t always returned. You start to wonder if you expected too much, or if you simply believed too deeply in relationships that were never as mutual as you thought.

Yet this experience, as isolating as it can feel, is not uncommon. Many people reach later life and discover that the circle they once supported has grown smaller. Lives change. Priorities shift. Some people only know how to take, not give. And some simply don’t understand that one day, they too will need the kind of support they failed to offer.

But here’s the part that matters: needing help is not a weakness. Outgrowing people is not a failure. And recognizing who truly stands with you, even if the list is shorter than you hoped, is a powerful kind of clarity.

This chapter may feel lonely, but it also opens space for something new: relationships built on reciprocity, not convenience. Connections with people who value presence over excuses. And a renewed understanding that your worth was never measured by how many people needed you, but by the strength and generosity you carried through every season of your life.

You’re still that person, dependable, compassionate, steady. And even if some have stepped away, your story isn’t defined by their absence. It’s defined by your resilience, your heart, and the courage it takes to keep going, even when the people you once held up are no longer there to hold you.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

                   COMING NEXT MONTH. SEND US YOUR QUESTIONS, AND WE WILL ANSWER.                                                          a...